Ahava ve Ahba is the first Jewish
Egyptian congregation in the United States. Established in 1963 on a
rented space provided by the Magen David congregation on 2066 67
street in Brooklyn NY 11204.
Its first rabbi was
Halfon Savdie, with a committee made up of Mr. Gabriel Chehebar,
Joseph Barnathan, Salomon Harari,
Joseph Hamaoui, Chaya Israel, Isaac Salem.
In 1972 the congregation moved to a rented space
in the Young Israel of Ocean Parkway one block away from its present
In 1979 the congregation moved to
its new building 1801 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn, NY 11223
In 1975 Rabbi
Halfon Savdie moved to Israel and was succeeded by Rabbi David
Choueka who later moved to Mexico.
Rabbi Jacob Israel held the
position of Rabbi of the congregation after Rabbi David Choueka's
In 1984 Rabbi
Shimon Hai Alouf
arrived from Israel and became the Rabbi of the congregation.
In 1993 Rabbi Haim Shaul joined the Ahaba ve Ahva
serving with Rabbi Shimon Hai Alouf.
to an expanding community, the Ahaba ve' Ahva acquired a new
location on Ocean Parkway presently under construction.